In the process of losing weight we are always looking for the latest technique to see if we can make the process easier. Because the truth is that losing weight can be a very long process. If you spend years getting those extra pounds, we can not expect them to disappear overnight, right? . Water has many advantages such as hydrate the body, purify it and even slimming it . It is important to drink plenty of water without abusing it , to avoid some negative consequences.
In this article we will discuss some important benefits of drinking water and other important topics related to it .
- Does drinking water before a shower lower blood pressure?
- Water in the human body
- Why to drink water before , during and after exercise? (Exercise)
- When and how to hydrate (Exercise)
- Drink water before , during and after exercise (Exercise)
- Symptoms of Dehydration
- Interests and benefits of water
- Tested drinks that can help in lowering blood pressure
Did you know that drinking a glass of water before taking a shower can help lower blood pressure? It's true! Who knew that you could lower blood pressure with a bit of water, both inside and out? You're probably wondering precisely why a glass of water before taking a shower helps lower blood pressure. There's a very precise reason for this phenomenon. Here's how it works. When your body is exposed to the warmth and heat of a hot shower, this causes the blood vessels and capillaries in the skin to expand and dilate. Capillaries are tiny blood vessels that form an expansive network beneath the skin's surface. This dilation is why your skin looks red after a hot bath or shower -- the expanded, dilated capillaries expand in surface area, which means they look larger and more blood is more visible beneath the skin's surface. When your body's blood vessels and capillaries expand and dilate, this results in a decrease or drop in your blood pressure. This occurs because the vessels enlarge. This creates more room within your circulatory system; your circulatory system can accommodate a greater blood volume when the vessels and capillaries dilate. Think of it a bit like this: Let's say you have a network of pipes filled with water. If you magically expand the diameter of the pipes, the water level inside the pipes will drop. The same thing occurs inside your body, when the warmth from a hot shower or bath causes your blood pressure to decrease. In fact, some individuals who suffer from blood pressure ailments have been known to faint during or immediately following a hot bath or shower.
So how does drinking a glass of water before taking a shower help to lower blood pressure?Drinking a warm glass of water before taking a bath or shower serves to warm your body from the inside, resulting in the same type of circulatory system dilation that occurs on the skin's surface. In addition, drinking water serves to dilute your body's sodium levels. Sodium – better known as salt – serves to raise blood pressure and it promotes fluid retention in the body's tissues. High sodium levels result in a high blood pressure. When you drink water, you dilute the body's sodium levels, which serves to lower blood pressure. So, to sum up the answer to the question, “how does it happen ?”: The warmth of the water that you drink, combined with the warmth of the water in the hot bath or shower serves to dilate your blood vessels, causing your blood pressure to drop. The water that you drink also serves to dilute your body's sodium levels, which further decreases blood pressure. So a glass of water before a hot bath or shower really can help your health!
The human body is composed largely of water almost 60%. But this rate varies with the age of the person. In an infant, for example, the water content is much higher with 75% , while for a person who is more than 65 years, it decreases to 50%.
Drinking water an exercises
Why to drink water before , during and after exercise?
Water is about 60% of our body . During exercise, the body loses water and sodium. Water loss can lead to dehydration in addition it causes a substantial drop in athletic performance.
Dehydration of 2% reduced physical abilities by 20%. The most common disorders are digestive and muscular, especially cramps or tendonitis.
When and how to hydrate
We should not wait for thirst to hydrate, because it means it's already too late. It is necessary to drink before, during and after exercise. The water lost as sweat must be compensated to avoid the risk of dehydration.
During exercise, it is important to think about regularly drinking small sips of water, without waiting to feel thirsty. This allows the maintenance of proper cardiac output and good tissue oxygenation.
The sensation of thirst indicates significant dehydration . Also note that our stomach can not absorb more than 750 ml of fluid per hour. It is then important to drink regularly in small amounts.
Drink after exercise helps eliminate acid waste generated by the muscles and helps to replenish water loss.
Drink water before , during and after exercise
Before exercise: Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day (6-8 cups). If you are physically active, you can drink up to 1 liter of water for three hours before the event.
During exercise: Drink small amounts of water at a time, that is to say, about a half cup every 15 minutes.
After exercise: Drink at least 1 liter of water for every pound lost .
Symptoms of Dehydration
To lose weight with the help of water can cause unpleasant symptoms such as:
- Feeling thirsty.
- A rise in heart rate .
- A drop in blood pressure .
- A drop in athletic performance, characterized by fatigue, breathlessness, heaviness in the legs, muscle pain and ligament or by tendinitis .
- Dark urine and a foul odor are also typical features of dehydration and body poisoned by its metabolic waste .
- Feeling confused .
- The tongue, mouth and dry skin .
- Decreased amount of urine .
- A rapid weight loss .
Hydration is the key for any good sport. You should not only drink to rehydrate yourself but also to store some energy.
Interests and benefits of water
Here is the list of interests and benefits of water put forward by the Institut Pasteur:
- A glass of water removes the feeling of hunger during the night to almost 100% as demonstrated by the University of Washington.
- Lack of water is the factor No. 1 cause of daytime fatigue.
- Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45% and can reduce the risk of breast cancer by 79% and 50% probability of bladder cancer.
- 2 glasses of water after waking up contribute to activate the internal organs .
- A glass of water thirty minutes before meals helps digest .
- A glass of water before taking a shower helps lower blood pressure .
- A glass of water before going to bed will help you not to have heart attacks.
- It helps to lower blood pressure.
- Water is involved in digestion, absorption and distribution of nutrients and even transportation of all types of toxins .
- It is involved in the processes that help us to weight loss and also the beauty of the hair, nails and skin.
Tested drinks that can help in lowering blood pressure
- A very useful drink is low fat milk that is rich with calcium. It is found that people who are suffering from calcium deficiencies are at higher risk of high blood pressure. It is recommended to drink three servings of low fat milk daily to keep your blood pressure lower.
- Fruit juices are also found really effective in lowering blood pressure. Pomegranate juice is really effective as it is a natural inhibitor of ACE, an enzyme producing Angiotensin II protein raising blood pressure. The juice of pomegranate works similar to prescribed medicines. Cranberry juice is also a good option that is a rich source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties. Grapes juice is rich with potassium that also control your high blood pressure. It is recommended to drink one glass of fresh juice of any of the fruit daily. Other fruits includes apricot, guvava, kiwi, bananas and honeydew melon.
- Vegetable juices are also good to lower blood pressures they are the natural sources of calcium, iron, potassium and zinc. You can drink juice of fresh spinach, tomato, carrot and beet greens are very effective. A glass of fresh vegetable juice daily can improve your blood circulation and lower blood pressure.
- A very common and most healthy drink is water that is the healthiest and cheapest most drink. Drinking an adequate amount of water, that is eight to ten glass can lower your blood pressure.
- Coffee and black tea is also found effective in lowering blood pressure. Decaffeinated coffee is good to drink if you want to lower your blood pressure because caffeine is effect your blood pressure in an opposite manner. According to studies, two to three servings of black tea daily can lower your blood pressure up to 4 points. Though it is a very small effect but according to doctors it is of great importance for a person’s health.
Personal ExpirienceSince I returned from India I established a routine in my life as a sports coach. Every morning when I woke up I drink 3-4 glasses of water. This may seem a lot but I think that drinking this amount of water in the morning is ok . I used to drink almost a liter of water which happens to be the minimum amount of water recommended for sedentary people by doctors . My personal doctor recommends drinking 2.5 liters of water a day when you do sports 2-3 times a week and 3 to 4 liters when you train 5 to 7 times a week. Do not drink too much water or you'll waste a great amount of time on the toilet. I recommend you to listen to your body and adjust your water to your physical activity .
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net